Mobile telephony sequences have emerged, which seems to contradict Israel’s account on the reasons why the soldiers opened fire on a convoy of ambulances and a fire truck on March 23, kill 15 rescuers.
The video was published by Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS), who said that it had been obtained from the telephone of a paramedical ambulancer. It shows the vehicles moving in the dark with light emergency flashing lights and lights – before setting fire.
The Initial Declaration of the Israel Defense Forces (FDI) said that “several non -coordinated vehicles have been identified, advancing the TSAhal troops without headlights or emergency signals. FDI troops then opened fire on suspicious vehicles.”
An ambulanceman previously survived said to the BBC that the ambulances were clearly marked and had their internal and external lights on.
The FDI was approached to comment on the video, which, according to the PRC, had been shown to the United Nations Security Council.
Published for the first time by the New York Times, the video shows the marked vehicles stopping on the side of the road, the lights are still flashing and at least two emergency workers out with reflective clothes.
The windshield of the vehicle being filmed is cracked and the shooting can then be heard several minutes like the shooting of the person who says the prayers. He is considered one of the dead paramedical paramedics.
The images were found on his phone after the retreat of his body in a shallow tomb a week after the incident. The bodies of the eight paramedical ambulancers, six civilian workers in Gaza and a UN employee were found buried in sand, as well as their destroyed vehicles. International organizations were needed to negotiate safe access to the site.
Israel said that a number of Islamic jihad activists had been killed in the incident, but he provided no evidence or explained the threat to his troops more.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Israel, Gideon Saar, earlier this week, echoes the army account, saying that “the FDIs had not randomly attacked an ambulance”.
The FDI has promised to investigate the circumstances after a surviving paramedical ambulancer has questioned its account.
In an interview with the BBC, The Paramedic Munther Abed said: “During the day and night, it’s the same thing. The external and internal lights are lit. Everything tells you that it is an ambulance vehicle that belongs to the Palestinian red crescent. All the lights were lit until the vehicle was under direct fire.”
He also denied that he or his team had militant ties.
“All the crews are civilian. We do not belong to any militant group. Our main duty is to offer ambulance services and save people’s lives. No more, nothing less,” he said.
Speaking yesterday at the United Nations, the president of the PRC, Dr Younis al-Khatib, referred to video recording, saying: “I heard the voice of one of these members of the team who was killed. His last words before being shot dead …” Forgive me mom, I just wanted to help people. I wanted to save lives “. It’s heartbreaking”.
He called for “responsibility” and an “independent and in -depth investigation” of what he called an “atrocious crime”.
An ambulancer is still not worn as a result of the March 23 incident.